Neighbourhood Plan Review Scoping Report Summary
A copy of the full Neighbourhood Plan Review Scoping Report can be downloaded here.
Taking the results of the policy assessment and public consultation exercise into account, we have prepared the following draft vision statement for the Neighbourhood Plan Review:
DRAFT VISION STATEMENT
Building on the foundations of our previously adopted Neighbourhood Plan, by 2026, Royal Wootton Bassett will be thriving Market Town with a distinct identity and local community feel. The town will be an environmentally, socially and economically sustainable and attractive place to live, work, visit and study.
Taking the results of the policy assessment and public consultation exercise into account, we have prepared the following draft strategic objectives for the Neighbourhood Plan Review:
DRAFT STRATEGIC OBJECTIVES
The Neighbourhood Plan seeks to:
- Ensure that Royal Wootton Bassett retains its strong, independent Market Town identity and has an attractive, vibrant town centre.
- Ensure that all residents can access the facilities (including education, health, leisure, and community facilities) and services they need in a sustainable way.
- Provide well planned, good quality housing to meet the identified needs of residents in accordance with principles of environmentally sustainable design and development, including supporting zero or low carbon developments that incorporate green design principles.
- Conserve and enhance the natural environment and around the town, by ensuring that accessible, attractive green and open spaces are provided within new developments and supporting the restoration of the canal.
- Support sustainable economic growth by ensuring that Royal Wootton Bassett is an attractive location for investment and supporting local employment opportunities.
- Prioritise environmentally and socially sustainable patterns of living, by promoting safe opportunities for walking and cycling both within and outside the town.
- Support opportunities for reducing ‘through traffic’ and HGVs passing through the town.
Table 1 of the main Scoping Report sets out the recommended themes and individual policies for the Neighbourhood Plan Review. These are based on the findings of the policy assessment and public consultation exercise. This table sets out the broad scope of recommended policies and what their purpose is in the context of achieving the overarching Neighbourhood Plan vision and objectives. In some cases the recommended policies may be broadly the same as those already contained within the adopted Neighbourhood Plan, however the detailed policy wording may need to be strengthened. This detailed policy wording will be prepared during Part B of the Neighbourhood Plan preparation. The table also identifies where any further evidence or data gathering may be required to support the policies identified.
In addition to policies, the Neighbourhood Plan may also set out community ‘actions’ or ‘initiatives’ which the Town Council will seek to deliver alongside the Plan. These would include matters not directly related to planning, for example offering support for the designation of Assets of Community Value.