Cancellation of Bassett In Bloom 2020 – Covid 19 Pandemic
We have received the following announcement from the organisers of the Bassett in Bloom competition:-
Whilst we’re sure our decision will not come as a surprise to our regular entrants, we wish to confirm that it is with a heavy heart that we will not be running Royal Wootton Bassett In Bloom in 2020.
Despite hoping that the situation and associated regulations would ease far enough for us to safely run the competition in a somewhat different but enjoyable manner for our entrants, we do not feel that this point has been reached. More so the need to protect entrants many of whom are 70+ and or shielding would preclude the competition being run in a truly fair, accessible and safe way.
We look forward to running Royal Wootton Bassett in Bloom 2021 in the usual way, but for now, for these and the following reasons we have therefore decided not to run the 2020 competition:
- Businesses have not been able to open and have been heavily impacted by the change in economy, opening and staffing; – restricting their ability to enter as they would have.
- Whilst the judging involving the Mayor and MP visiting homes brings company, this would not be possible nor safe at this time, so what would be offered would be a compromise.
- Despite every effort to reduce risk through planning, social distancing, and PPE we could not remove 100% of the risk of entering the gardens of the entrants and would not like to add risk where people have been shielding, sacrificed 12 weeks to self-isolation to stay safe. More so as we would never know if any judges or organisers are carriers.
- Exclusion of those shielding – those shielding could not enter and put themselves at risk, so they would be excluded.
- For entrants with garden centres only just opening a few weeks ago and limited supplies available through other means entrants may not be able to showcase themselves or their gardens to the fullest potential.
- Whilst residents are able to have up to 6 people a day in their gardens, they are restricted/guided to just one visit. To use that up on judging would preclude them from seeing family members or friends.
- Though the R value is thought to be between 0.7-0.9 these figures are understood to have been calculated before the mass gatherings and school openings suggesting possible increased levels of infections by July.